Headquarters: Remote, United States
About the Role
At Abstract we develop desktop and web applications that help teams design with confidence by providing a version control system and collaboration platform focused on design artifacts. We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Platform squad. Platform engineers enjoy a wide range of projects that improve the reliability and long term scalability of our product.
We're more interested in your ability to learn and solve problems, so while previous Go and/or Ruby experience is preferred, expertise in similar languages (Java, PHP, Elixir, Erlang, Python, Perl, C#, C++) would also suffice.
What You'll Do:
- Discuss, plan, and build new features and web APIs
- Diagnose performance issues and improve processing time for key operations
- Triage and fix bugs, often working directly with our customers
- Participate in peer code reviews through pull requests to make sure we're moving fast while also maintaining quality codebases
- Collaborate with fellow engineers and designers building customer-facing features to decide how APIs and integrated libraries should work
- Document service architecture and features to share knowledge with the rest of the engineering team
- Work closely with the Infrastructure team to ensure any security concerns are addressed quickly and thoroughly
- Own small-to-large projects of increasing complexity and scope, including code shared across services or areas
- Define and improve best practices and guidelines for your area
- Lead other engineers on projects
- Interview prospective team members
- Participate in standups, backlog grooming, demos, and retrospectives
- Participate in the team’s First Responder rotation
What You'll Bring
- Remote work experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Curiosity, and a commitment to life-long learning
- Experience building web applications
- A product mindset and a willingness to ask questions in order to improve the product, not only in its technical implementation but also in how well it’s serving the needs of our customers
- The ability to make things happen even when the path is not well defined
- Ability to clearly discuss and explain complex technical topics to peers, junior engineers, and non-technical audiences
- Commitment to improvement and an understanding of technical trade-offs
- Respectful collaboration across squads
- Willingness both to listen to others and to be heard
- Enthusiasm for jumping in to diagnose and fix the core issues when things inevitably break.
Bonus points if you have:
- Designed high-volume APIs
- In-depth understanding of Git internals
- Experience working with Git libraries such as go-git and git2go
- Worked in an environment with microservices or another service-oriented architecture
- Designed and built applications with Docker or Kubernetes
- Worked on small teams and are comfortable wearing multiple hats
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Mentorship experience
At Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial wellbeing. We provide 99% healthcare coverage, as well as dental, vision, and life insurance options. We offer 10 weeks parental leave, unlimited paid-time off, and flexible working arrangements. Additional perks include dependent care, a budget to set up your home office, a monthly wellness and internet stipend, and health care FSA.
To help employees plan for the future, we're able to offer competitive pay and a 401(k).
We are a distributed team and we are able to offer US-based remote employment. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate. Our company’s mission is to dramatically improve the productivity, transparency and impact of Design. Since launching in July 2017, over 5,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from Microsoft, Cisco, Intuit, Salesforce, Instacart, OpenTable, and more.
At Abstract, we are actively working to build a diverse and inclusive organization. Here, diversity includes age, economic class, educational background, ethnic variance, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, or veteran status.
Abstract is fully-remote (US-based only at this time). If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a strong, team-player mentality, we’d love to hear from you!
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Elastic Projects will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
To apply: https://remotelane.com/remote-jobs/abstract-senior-software-engineer-back-end-platform-team